Thoracic Anesthesia Symposium & Workshops Registration
May 5, 2023
Oregon Convention Center
777 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Portland, OR 97237
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland 1000 NE Multnomah Street Portland, Oregon 97232
Hyatt Regency Portland at the Oregon Convention Center 375 NE Holladay Street Portland, Oregon 97232
Eastlund Hotel 1021 NE Grand Avenue Portland, Oregon 97232
Look forward to:
- A focus on dramas, traumas, experts, and controversies, along with everyday challenges in the chest
- Thought leaders provide a deep-dive exploration of new topics in thoracic surgery and anesthetic challenges.
- Hands-on workshop format! Focus on your clinical interests and explore what is new with an interactive experience with the authorities in the field.
At the SCA Thoracic Anesthesia Symposium you can:
- Choose 3 in-person workshops and register for an optional live PBLD for a conference experience tailored to YOUR educational needs
- Network with 200 other professionals in anesthesiology to help you gain insight into your practice and career
- Connect with our exhibitors to learn about new products and programs
(In-Person and Virtual are the same rate)
|Member Rates:||Early Bird
On or Before 2/20/2023
|TAS Only – Member-Physician||$395||$495|
|TAS Only – Member-Fellow||$200||$300|
|TAS Only – Member-Resident||$200||$300|
|AM & TAS – Member – Physician||$1,180||$1,480|
|AM & TAS – Member – Fellow||$550||$850|
|AM & TAS – Member – Resident||$550||$850|
|Non-Member Rates:||Early Bird
On or Before 2/20/2023
|TAS Only – Non-Member – Physician||$650||$750|
TAS Only – Non-Member – Fellow
TAS Only – Non-Member – Resident
AM & TAS – Non-Member – Physician
AM & TAS – Non-Member – Fellow
AM & TAS – Non-Member – Resident
Covid: All SCA educational programs adhere to all federal and state mandates regarding Covid-19 mitigation practices in place at the time of the conference.
Cancellation Policy: All registration cancellations and refund requests must be made in writing by April 5,2023. A refund of the full conference fee, minus a $100 administrative fee, will be given for cancellations received by that date. No refunds will be granted for requests postmarked after April 5, 2023. SCA reserves the right to substitute faculty or to cancel or reschedule sessions because of low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances. If SCA must cancel the entire meeting, registrants will receive a full credit or refund of their paid registration fee. No refunds can be made for lodging, airfare, or any other expenses related to attending the meeting.
Media waiver: SCA may take photographs, video, and/or audio of this event for use in SCA news, as well as promotional and educational materials in print, electronic, and other media—including the SCA website. By participating in this event, you grant SCA the right to use any video, image photograph, voice, or likeness—without limitation—in its news, promotional materials, and educational and publicity efforts without compensation. All types of media will become property of SCA.
Personally Identifiable Information: By registering for this event, you agree to the collection, use, and
disclosure of Personally Identifiable Information (PII). PII includes any information that identifies you personally (e.g., name, address, e-mail address, phone number, etc.). SCA will use PII to: (a) enable your event registration; (b) review, evaluate, and administer SCA initiatives; (c) market SCA opportunities you may potentially be interested in; and (d) share your PII with third parties that perform services on behalf of SCA, such as database management, event housing, and transportation. SCA may use your PII if SCA remains active in conducting any of the above purposes. SCA will not sell your PII.
Submission Opens on September 6, 2022 and
Closes on December 1, 2022!
- Submission system opens on September 6, 2022.
- Submission system closes at 5:00 pm (Central) on December 1, 2022.
- Additional submissions will not be accepted after the submission system closes
- If you do not receive email confirmation of your abstract submission within 30 minutes of finalizing your abstract submission, please contact SCA Member Services for assistance: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Co-Authors must complete their disclosure forms by December 1, 2022.
- Notifications regarding abstract selection will be sent in January 2023.
Instructions for Online Submission
Submission Content and Format Rules
- Submissions will be made to one of the following categories:
- Difficult Case
- This category provides a forum for showcasing interesting, challenging, or unique anesthetic clinical scenarios related to thoracic surgery cases.
- Basic and Clinical Research
- Resident and Fellow Submission
- Difficult Case
- Submission must be submitted in English.
- Abstracts are limited to 3,300 characters. Character count includes body text and spaces.
- Still images must be submitted in the following formats: .jpg, .tiff, or .bmp.
- Title should be short and specific, with a capitalized first letter of each word, and should not contain abbreviations, quotation marks, and all capital letters.
- Use generic drug/product names rather than trade names.
- Do not include references to the institutions involved in the abstract body.
- Standard abbreviations may be used without definition. Non-standard abbreviations should be kept to a minimum.
- Body Text
- For Difficult Case Category ONLY, submission should include:
- Introduction paragraph: state why the case is presented.
- Brief summary of the clinical case
- Bulleted discussion section, including:
- Techniques employed for airway management, lung isolation or any aspects of thoracic clinical care
- Surgical considerations which impact the anesthesia decision making
- Teaching point of the case
- Images and videos are optional, but highly encouraged
- For Difficult Case Category ONLY, submission should include:
- Figure and video legends (brief)
- Still images may accompany the submission (Optional)
- Should be of high quality but cannot be larger than 1 MB
- Video clips may accompany the submission (Optional)
- Video file formats should be AVI.
- Optimal video frame dimensions are 480×360 pixels.
- Use video-compression software to reduce size, if necessary.
- If you combine clips, please allow enough time for each clip and leave a gap between clips.
- Label submitted figures/videos with your initials followed by Figure/Video # to facilitate reviews (i.e. John Smith: JS Figure 1/JS Video 1).
- Abstract authors will not be provided complimentary registration or any other financial remuneration. Presenting authors are expected to register for and attend the meeting.
- Only abstracts submitted using the online submission system will be considered.
- Only authors may complete submissions. Abstracts should not be submitted by an assistant, supervisor, or other third party.
- Once the abstract is submitted, no revisions are permitted.
- An abstract may only be submitted once (i.e. may not be submitted to multiple categories).
- Abstracts must summarize an original contribution.
- If there is any conceivable question regarding similarity to earlier work or possible duplication or redundancy, it is the responsibility of the presenting author of the paper to contact SCA at email@example.com
- Abstracts/Cases should have not been previously published or presented at other national and international meetings.
- If there is a potential conflict regarding an abstract already being presented or published, please notify SCA via email at the time of submission. Failure to comply will result in the abstract being rejected.
- Submitting author will attest that all co-authors of the abstract have granted consent for the material to be submitted for presentation, and that the submitting author has been granted the right by all co-authors to act on their behalf.
- No abstract will be considered with deferred outcome data. If data is to be presented, it must appear in the original abstract submitted.
- Submissions should include the best available evidence and should not include content that is biased or promotional in nature.
- Submitted text and images must be HIPPA compliant, including masking of all patient identification material. Images with patient identifiers will not be considered for presentation.
- SCA reserves the right to withdraw an abstract at any time.
- The presenting author for each abstract must attend the Thoracic Anesthesia Symposium and Workshops.
- In the event that a change of presenting author must be made after the submission of the abstract, SCA must be notified in writing as soon as possible.
- Residents and fellows are encouraged to work with a faculty mentor and submit an educational or difficult case, case series or the results of a study they have participated during residency training. These submissions will be evaluated as a separate group with a best abstract selection and plenary presentation.
All abstracts undergo a blinded peer-review process and will be reviewed for the following criteria:
- Background: Clearly stated study If a case report or case series, the reason for presenting the case(s) is clearly stated instead of a study hypothesis
- Methods: Clearly describes the method of data collection (e.g.) prospective data collection or chart If statistical methodology is indicated, these methodologies are clearly described
- Results: Presented in a manner (description +/- graphics) that is easy for the reader to For case presentations, the appropriate clinical details are included. Descriptive and statistical results are stated. Tables, figures, or other graphics add to what is described in the abstract
- Conclusion: Well stated so that it is obvious how the data support or refute the stated Case report conclusions should clearly state how observations support a clinical or scientific principle or hypothesis worthy of future study
- Clarity of presentation: Well written in a style that is understandable to a non-specialist. The “message” is easily understood by the reader without having to re-read the abstract several times
Top Abstracts and Difficult Cases
The highest scoring submissions from the Research and Resident and Fellow categories will be recognized by presenting their work as oral slide presentations at the meeting. Authors will be notified at the time of abstract acceptance notification.
The highest scoring submissions from the Case Reports category will be presented as oral slide presentations at the “Difficult Case? No Problem!” session at the meeting. Authors will be notified at the time of abstract acceptance notification.